- WorkFit support re-affirms my good practice and give a better understanding of people with Down's syndrome.Frankie and Benny's
- After a successful training session, I'm encouraged to know that I am going to have a personal impact in a person's learning and life skills. I feel encouraged to learn of the increased opportunities for young people with Down's syndrome in Wales.Waitrose
- The WorkFit assessment and training has given us a much greater understanding of the condition and what it means to hire someone with Down's syndrome. Cemented that it is definitely something we would like to be involved in and incorporate in stores.JoJo Maman Bebe
Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme: A step by step guide for employers has been published (24/04/20) on GOV.UK. It is designed to explain the information that employers need to provide to claim for their employees’ wages
Furlough Scheme Extended: Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme extended by one month to the end of June to reflect continuing social distancing measures. The scheme, which allows firms to furlough employees with the government paying cash grants of 80% of their wages up to a maximum of £2,500, was originally open for three months and backdated from the 1 March to the end of May.
Guidance around support for business during the Coronavirus pandemic can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses
General employment advice and guidance can also be found on the ACAS website at: https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus
Due to the current circumstances, the WorkFit team are now furloughed but please be assured that our Employment Development Manager, Alison Thwaite is available to help with any enquiries that you may have.
As specialists in Down’s syndrome we can provide informative bespoke guidance, advice and training to employers hiring someone with Down’s syndrome. Our bespoke services are delivered to your organisation by a dedicated Employment Development Officer entirely free of charge. Wherever you are with your recruitment needs, we will support you throughout the process and beyond with ongoing support and advice.
Hear from our Employers about their WorkFit experiences
What we can do for you
Workplace assessment * we will review your workplace, identify any disability issues, consult on possible roles that would be suitable within your organisation and make recommendations on reasonable adjustments and adaptations not only to meet your statutory requirements under disability and employment legislation but also to achieve the best practice in the work place.
Bespoke employment training * we will provide a structured and cohesive training tailored to meet your requirements.
The main contents will cover:
- Awareness training on Down’s syndrome and the specific learning profile
- Management strategies
- Guidance and advice on how to support and manage an employee with Down’s syndrome
“A huge education about how people with Down’s syndrome live and learn. We also feel more confident about working with someone who has Down’s syndrome.” – Browns Hairdressing Group, Buckingham
Bespoke secure site: where you can post vacancies once you have received our free initial training, free access to candidates who are ready to work or who are developing their skills for the future, further resources and aids on supporting and managing an employee with Down’s syndrome.
On-going support: through our information helpline, we can offer expert advice about supporting an employee with DS.
What to do next
- Register free onto the WorkFit programme
- You will receive an email with your unique login details, so that you can start using the site
- We will contact you to discuss your interest
“Training Sam has been a great learning curve for me. Thanks to the support of Cat from WorkFit, it’s reminded me how to evaluate what I do in order to provide better training, not just for Sam but for any trainee. It has also taught me to use patience, understanding and observation to find better ways of delivering the training in order to meet Sam’s needs, as well as those of his work buddies. What you get out of it is a genuine feeling of achievement, as well as pleasure of seeing someone doing so well and so obviously enjoying it.”
Tim Dean, Logistics Trainer- XPO